Thursday, June 22, 2006

Class Warfare?

A group of over 200 wealthy Minnesotans has taken out a full page ad in the strib today, arguing that the state needs more money and they can afford to pay it in the form of higher taxes.

Marxism if it comes from me; bold, visionary leadership if it comes from them.

Has it truly gotten so bad that the rich have to beg us to take their money from them? What does this say about our prioirties as a state? As a people? Sigh...


"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist."--Dom Helder Camara

2 comments:

christopher uggen said...

nice story. it seems to reflect my own minnesota values, so i signed the pledge at http://www.worksformn.org

i'm not happy that the plan could raise taxes on families earning as little as 45k per year, but i think it is time for old-line minnesota liberals and dfl-ers to put up or shut up. plus, i'm still working through my own ballpark-induced guilt.

Woz said...

You know, I've got concur with you on this one PSP...it did strike me as odd that they were having difficulty paying enough in taxes.

But I think politically it's an intersting move, and if nothing else (although I agree that it's most likely quite disingenous) it raises the imoprtant issue that the tex burden doesn't really fall where it should on the economic ladder.