Thursday, January 15, 2009

Hill Billy Music Day



Over the past year, I've managed to acquire a fairly nice banjo and an incredibly beautiful hard-top mandolin. However, I've had extremely little time to practice. That, coupled with my growing love of all things Gram Parsons, has had me itching to find the time necessary to get at least decent enough to play them along with others.

As such, with the girlfriend on vacation and the roommate out of town, I am having the first of what hopefully will become annual event -- Hill Billy Music Day. I got myself a fifth of whiskey and am locking myself in the house all day, doing nothing but slowly draining that bottle (well, not the whole bottle) and becoming proficient at the banjo and mandolin in the process.

You know, there's a great deal of challenge and stress in academia, but it's also the kind of job that allows you to take the occasional week day off for drinking and making music. And that's my kind of job...

No comments: