Wednesday, March 12, 2008

This is approximately where I get off the train


Don't get me wrong, I'm down. I've played every version of Guitar Hero, and have a band with some buddies on Rock Band (which happens to be ranked 4,763 in the world...be on the lookout for Dr. Murderfist). Hell, one night when really bored, I made a MySpace page for my fictitious band in the game. So I understand that these games are really fun, and a great way to waste the limited disposable-income of your youth.

And as a decent, but by no means good musician, I understand the vicarious thrill of being able to simulate rocking out really well. But I've finally found my jumping off point. Noted favorite of metal bands guitar-makers Peavey have announced they are making full size, "realistic" guitar controllers (pictured a left) for the game(s). From the Peavey website:

"Peavey has released a new line of Guitar Hero controllers made from a life-sized Peavey guitar. These are real wood guitars that have been modified to play the video game."

And you can get one of your own for the low, low price of only $399! In other words, for the price of a decent real guitar, except that one would have strings and the ability to actually produce music. Look, I'm never one to say that people should quit playing video games and attempt to actually live their life, but if you're going to put that much money and time into learning a fake instrument, why not just put the same effort into the real thing? Considering the guitar costs $400, the game costs $150, and there are endless buy-ins that drive the price up even more (not to mention that you need a $200 sytem to play it on), why not put that money toward a real guitar and some lessons? Just a thought.

But if you are heading over to the nearest Peavey dealer to get one of these monstrocities, be forewarned that of the current styles available, 8 of the 20 are Lynyrd Skynyrd themed...I'm not sure how to read that, but apparently the good folks at Peavey asume that of all rock fans, a good 40% are Skynyrd fans above all else. I hope to God this is not true.


In comepletely un-related news, President Bush has been imlpicated in a prostitution ring involving up to 50,000 women and children.

No comments: