Thursday, March 17, 2005

Gangsta thug, political relevancy, and getting old

More and more these days I realize I'm getting old. Case in point: the other day, I saw a very humorous t-shirt, and I didn't buy it. Now, there was a time when Jesse Scott Genesius Wozniak bought every humorous t-shirt he could get his hands on (probably a contributing factor as to why I own well over 150 t-shirts). However, I saw this shirt, and I started thinking "Do I really want it? I mean, will I still be wearing it in 6 months? Couldn't I spend the money on better things?"

Now this may all seem trivial to you, but you must understand, this was a very funny t-shirt. It had a drawing of Jesus wearing a gigantic, blinging gold cross on his neck with his hands flashing gang symbols, and two apostle-looking gentlemen sitting next to a boom-box, and it was labeled "J-Unit" in a delicious satire of 50 Cent's own thug group, G-Unit. I'm sure you're all filled with mirth at the very thought of such a t-shirt. But as I laughed (and even grabbed it off of the rack, fully intending to purchase it) I paused and pondered 50's career. I know his new albulm is doing well, but let's think about it: when's the last time you heard of anyone reppin' the No Limit Soldiers? I mean, those guys used to look invincible, but now you'd just look stupid walking around wearing a shirt that had some Rabbis in a tank with "No Limit Schlamiels" written on it and Moses saying "Challah back, mein bruder!" You see what I'm saying.

So I didn't buy the shirt. Besides, I work in an office, so I have to wear "office clothes" 5 days a week. There would be precious little time to show off my witty shirt, especially considering the amount of time it has to be relevant.

God, I'm getting old.

3 comments:

Howzi said...

Woz.. check out my blog entry about the best hip hop you haven't heard... even though I'm guessing you've heard of a lot of it (like J5 or Immortal Technique).

Howzi said...

Woz.. check out my blog entry about the best hip hop you haven't heard... even though I'm guessing you've heard of a lot of it (like J5 or Immortal Technique).

Howzi said...

Not sure why that doubled up... probably because I touch myself at night.