Monday, April 02, 2012

So I Don't Have Good News To Report

When I last left you, dear reader, I was awaiting the election results determining whether I would be union represented or not. Things did not turn out like I had hoped/expected, and I will not have a union. Instead I will have the same shitty pay check and crappy work conditions. Maybe someday when I'm not still all pissy about the way things turned out I'll post something explaining why I think things didn't work out, but today is definitely not that day.

Being a radical leftist, I don't experience many victories in the political world, especially electoral victories. So it's not as if this is the first time I've ever been on the losing side of a political movement. But this one hurts a lot more than most any other loss ever has. I don't know if it's because it was so personal or because I was so highly involved (though I doubt it, because that describes my participation in a lot of things), or if it was because this is one of the few times I really thought I was going to be on the winning side. I mean, truly believed it.

Though if my life of being a Minnesota sports fan has taught me nothing else, it's that as soon as I start to believe, that's when everything falls apart. I must admit last weekend I experienced a feeling eerily similar to watching Brett Favre lead the Vikings down the field for what should be an easy field goal to win the game and send them to the Super Bowl. I distinctly remember saying aloud to no one in particular "Damnit, I'm starting to believe, and that means they'll lose" only moments before Brett threw that ridiculous interception.

So instead of the difficult albeit fun work of moving forward, last week was mostly spent drowning my sorrows and trying to get back to a regular work schedule. And while I think my sorrows could still use some drowning, at least I'm back to being marginally productive.

But really, all of this is just exposition and an excuse for me to say go read this article about how Wall Street investors are psychopaths. And please do keep in mind these are the same psychopaths that will try to explain to you why you don't need a union. Please don't listen to psychopaths.

No comments: