Monday, May 03, 2010

Call me Michael Ian Black, Because I Love the 90s!

In today's update on things that are completely unnecessary but sure are fun time wasters, I present to you the Geo Cities-izer, an application that allows you to view any website you want as if it were created by a 13 year old in the year 1996.

For instance, this is what my humble li'l blog would look like as a Geo Cities page (don't forget to turn your sound up for full effect).

This is a great reminder of how quickly the world changes. As the semester wraps up, I've been trying to show my students that pretty much the only constant of the social world is change, and therefore it's not a question of if things will change, but how and why they will.

And you can see it with this humorous but trifling app -- only a little over a decade ago this stuff looked cutting edge and futuristic, and now it's something we laugh heartily at. And that forces us to ask ourselves what we now see as normal or even cutting edge that will soon be laughable.

In any event, check in on this blog in 2025 and we'll see what we're laughing at then...

No comments: