Tuesday, April 28, 2009

What's Your Congressional Rep Doing?

Rarely am I proud of a politician, and even more rarely does someone I voted for get elected to office. Yet both of these things are now true. Keith Ellison, the first Muslim member of Congress and my rep, was arrested yesterday at the Sudanese embassy, protesting the expulsion of aid workers form Darfur, and generally trying to raise awareness of the genocide.

Of course, a more depressing take on it is that our government's inaction in the face of a clear genocide has gotten to the point where a half-dozen members of the U.S. Congress have to get arrested for people to pay attention, but for now I'm just going to bask in the glow of having an elected official representing me actually do something I agree with...

No comments: