Friday, April 10, 2009

Oh, PETA

I'm not a vegetarian, but I have sympathy for PETA -- they're definitely fighting an up-hill battle, and in a way, you have to admire how committed they are. I would seriously doubt there's any other culture as meat-centric as the U.S. Think about it; meat is a status symbol, a necessary for masculinity, and oh so many other things to Americans.

So PETA's got its work cut out to change this. But I can't help but feel they're going at it the wrong way. For instance, only a few years after they insisted the Green Bay Packers should change their name to the Pickers (to give props to the state's cherry-cultivating heritage rather than it's animal-slaughtering heritage), they're now asking the Pet Shop Boys to change their name, preferably to the Shelter Boys.

I get it, PETA: most pets from pet shops come from horrible mills were animals are force-bred in terrible conditions. But do you really think people listen to a British electro-pop band and think they should support puppy mills? For some strange reason, I don't think so...

No comments: