Monday, June 23, 2008

R.I.P. George Carlin



To add my voice to the cacophony of folks eulogizing Mr. Carlin today, I thought I'd toss up a quick note about him before I get to work today. Though most folks in my generation are probably familiar with him as Rufus from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, or as the conductor of Shinning Time Station (he was wayyy better than the Ringo character), or possibly his short-lived sitcom, I fortunately had a buddy or two who were into his good comedy and got me properly introduced.

Though I don't buy the "new Lenny Bruce" tag hung on him (it's like calling people the new Jordan; just accept that there was only one) he was a great comedian and a great advocate of the freedom of speech (the mug shot above is for doing his routine in Milwaukee and "disturbing the peace" with naughty words), both efforts which have enriched our little world. He'll be sorely missed.

No comments: