Monday, June 09, 2008

Cleaning/Stroking My Ego

Spring is for cleaning, as the old saying goes. Well, there is probably no saying that goes like that, nor is it likely that there was anyone who's ever said that phrase (except of course for me doing it right there).

Nevertheless, as a grad student, you have very little free time. It becomes very hard to use your precious few moments of free time every day for mundane activities like cleaning and hygiene. As such, the first few weeks of summer for me are almost always spent digging my apartment out form under all the crap that has built up over the course of the school year. This also extends to the electronic realm, where I've been busy at work going through and deleting hundreds of old e-mails.

But fortunately for you, lucky reader, I'm vain enough to save my own outgoing e-mails I think are clever, so that I may read through them and be amazed at how brilliant I am. And don't pretend you don't do the same thing...

Anyhoo, I found one that I thought I had already blogged about but apparently have not. Please enjoy:

I've been working on a paper all day, so I walked home for some dinner and to watch teen nick on saturday night (well, only one part of that was intentional... which one? Who knows?!? Sounds like a job for Boy McBoy, Jr., the junior boy detective!) and I actually saw the following inoffensive events on some sort of "teen" based variety show:

Black girl walks in door
Overweight black boy makes eye contact with her
Both run to fridge
Both grab for...wait for it...

The last grape soda.

They both want it so bad
So they have a...wait for it...

Dance off for the last grape soda.

Fat black boy dances in funny dance
Black girl dances in funny dance that is apparently better
Fat black boy dances again feverishly
Black girl dances feverishly as well and knocks over fat black boy
with...wait for it...

Her large buttocks (I believe they refer to it as a "booty").

Fat black boy knocked to floor
Multiethnic supporting cast runs to his aid
Fat black kid humorously asks to be avenged (canned laughter is amused)
White girl defends his honor by dancing

White girl dances poorly.

Black girl also knocks over white girl with booty
Enter svelte black boy
Svelte black boy dances well
Black girl dances well
Both dance so well they explode

Fat black boy gleefully gets up and chugs the grape soda.

Thankfully, in all of this, not a single racial stereotype was used. I mean, I remember a time when t.v. shows were all predicated upon outmoded racial stereotypes.

Thank the good lord we've passed that dark age.

No comments: