Tuesday, February 21, 2006

What's in a name?



Ahhh..the magical cycle of life. Children grow from being helpless little people who must be fed and cared for, to being independent adults, back to being little old people who must be fed and cared for. It's a magical cycle of which we are all a part. So, too, is my name.

The name Wozniak is similar to the English surname Carter, meaning a person who drives a cart. It is belived to have been derived from the root woz, meaning wagon or cart. Thus, my humble little nickname has grown from Woz up to Wozniak, and then paired back down by protestants who have the inability to recognize anything unlike themselves and cannot pronounce anything that does not end in "son" back down to Woz. Ahh, the cycle is complete.

In other possible interpretations, it has also been said to have been derived form Wozny, meaning a town crier. Here's where in my younger days I would have included some sort of hard-core agit prop statement about how I'm still the town crier, waking the masses up from their brainwashed slumber, but now I realize that would make me look like a douchebag, so I'll stick with the cart story.

No comments: