Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Ever Wonder What Kids Like?

Well, wonder no more, for there are marketing executives to tell you exactly what teenagers think and like!

I'm not sure what creeps me out/sickens me the most about this...the sickening marketing of our children? The screaming obviousness of all of it presented as if it were a novel concept? The fact that someone got paid to do this?

No, I think I'm going to go with the pseudo-science aspect of it. It always makes me laugh when people look down on those of us in the social sciences as if we're not real sciences, and claim that those of us in the academy don't really do any work or real research. But that's not it at all; we're all just in the wrong field.

If someone tried to turn in that "research" to any sociology journal, they'd be laughed at so hard they'd [insert folksy saying about what happens to someone being laughed at here]. But if you do that same shoddy research and call yourself a marketer, you not only get paid 10 times as much as a professional sociologist, but for some reason you're seen as a productive a valuable member of society, as opposed to an ivory-tower egghead that doesn't know what they're doing.

Far be it from me to suggest something so radical, but it almost feels as if we as a people have skewed set of priorities...

No comments: