Thursday, March 08, 2007

To be happy again



There are plenty of things in the world that make me happy--flowers, pretty girls, large sandwiches. But few serve to put me in that mood of total ecstasy like making music. To be overly-nerdy about it, it's one of the few times I ever acheive what Mihalyi Csikszentmihaly termed flow, that point where time ceases to exist and you're totally enveloped in what you're doing with no regard to external stimuli.

To that extent, I went out and bought a drum set last week to back up the roomie's new band, which was conveniently missing a drummer. Now, I'm no Flava Flav, but I can play a fair number of instruments. However, percussion was the last line for me to cross. But even though I play like shit, it still gets that ol' time awesome feeling rushing back in, so I guess it's more than worth it. Plus, if you play your cards right, you can still end up in a bad-ass band picture...

No comments: