Monday, September 21, 2015

Today's Lesson: The Costs of Procrastination or Listen to Your Mother!

After I moved into this place I'm currently living in, my mother, who along with my dad was visiting and helping me unpack, noted that the slumlord I rent from did not leave a fire extinguisher anywhere in the place (which, as far as I can tell, seems to be a violation of state law) and that I should get one before I use the sketchy-looking stove, which had clearly caught on fire at some previous point.

And I did intend to get around to that. Eventually.

Though I probably should have gotten to it before I attempted to cook some bacon in the oven this morning, as that resulted in a grease fire in the crappy old oven.

Fortunately, it was confined to the oven, and I'm only out one pan (which I may be able to salvage!) and one package of expensive bacon. The only lasting downside is that my entire house is going to smell like a campfire for the foreseeable future. But now you can sure as shit bet I'll always have a fire extinguisher on hand.

For as I was running around through the smoke opening windows and debating what to do in the absence of a fire extinguisher, all I could think was "should have listened to Mom." Well, that and being super glad I got renter's insurance last week.

Pictured: How I spent my morning

No comments: