Tuesday, December 12, 2006
Help stop military recruiters in the Twin Cities
Those plucky young Youth Against War and Racism (YAWR) kids are back at it again. This time, they're making a concerted effort to get military recruiters out of their high schools, or at least to limited their currently unfettered access to students.
But they can't do it alone! That's where you come in.
Central High students have been campaigning for over a year now to get military recruiters out of their school, but recruiters have no far only stepped up their presence. That's why the Central High chapter of Youth Against War and Racism is making the following demands on the principal, school board, and superintendent:
1) Restrict military recruiters to the Career Resource Center and prevent any unsupervised contact with students.
2) Stop military recruiters coming to Central more often than any other post-secondary or job recruiting program actually comes.
3) Ensure that YAWR gets seven days notice before recruiters can enter school grounds.
Central High students presented these demands to the last meeting of the St.
Paul Board of Education, and what we're asking you to do is to join with us to hold the Board accountable to address our demands at the next school board meeting on December 19th. Here's what YOU can do:
1) Show up to the meeting at 6:30 pm on December 19th and show your support. The meeting is located in the District Administration Building at 360 Colborne Street in St. Paul.
2) Send out an announcement to your friends asking others to come show support.
3) Write the school board, principal, and superintendent a letter expressing your endorsement of these demands and send us a copy at email@example.com so we're aware of it.
Here is the contact information for the various officials:
Superintendent Meria J. Carstarphen
Administration Building, 360 Colborne St., St. Paul, MN 55102
Principal Mary Mackbee
Central Senior High School, 275 Lexington Pkwy., St. Paul, MN 55104
Board of Education (and all members)
360 Colborne St., St. Paul, MN 55102
Individual board members' e-mails:
Elona Street-Stewart, Chair - firstname.lastname@example.org
Tom Conlon, Clerk - email@example.com
Anne Carroll, Director - firstname.lastname@example.org
Al Oertwig, Director - email@example.com
Kazoua Kong-Thao, Vice-Chair - firstname.lastname@example.org
John Brodrick, Treasurer - email@example.com
Tom Goldstein, Director - firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact Central High YAWR, call Shane Davis at 651-587-6923 or e-mail email@example.com
Posted by Woz at 10:39 AM