In the world of academic journals, there are many ways of reviewing papers for submission. In sociology, when a paper is submitted, roughly 80% are sent back to the authors to "revise and resubmit," meaning that the journal may consider publishing the paper if you make rework it into what they want. Of the other 20%, about half are accepted outright, while the other half are rejected outright.
Tonight, I found out that I am in that bottom 10%.
While the reviewer made a variety of comments on the paper, most can be summed up into one form or another of:
"While the paper was interesting, even more interesting is that a mentally-retarded 8 year old somehow figured out how to submit a paper for publication."
Needless to say, I am feeling very humbled this evening.